American Express Credit Cards
Over the years, there has been an influx of credit card service providers. However, American Express has remained relevant by offering both credit and charge cards that suit a wide array of lifestyles. They are popular for outstanding travel connections as well as premium offers.
Whether you are interested in cash back, travel insurance, flyer miles, access to airport lounges, purchase protections and points, you might want to get one of these cards.
How to apply
As an American Express cardholder, you stand to benefit from exclusive offers and value-added benefits on credit services. Working with a renowned financial provider means that you are getting outstanding service. Getting any of these credit cards is relatively easy and you can submit an application through the online platform.
Your requests are meticulously handled to make sure you get a card that matches your budget and terms you have specified. Since there are several options on offer, it is important to check the features of each to make sure you are making the right choice.
Interest rates and fees
The interest rates and charges vary depending on the credit card you choose but some fees are common.
|Card||Interest rates||Interest on positive balance|
|Gold Credit||19.65%-20.5%||Up to 0.75%|
The initiation fee for all the credit cards is R189.65. The monthly fee for Platinum, Gold, and Blue credit cards is R60.53, R32.28, and R25.62 respectively. A lost or stolen Platinum credit card is replaced for free but you need to pay R131.14 for Gold and Blue cards.
American Express Platinum credit card
This card is meant for people who want to experience enhanced benefits when shopping, traveling, and other perks on lifestyle expenses.
• You can get a free secondary card
• Affordable balance transfers at 9.90% for six months
• Get free access to Bidvest lounges for the first eight visits
• Enjoy discounts when you book through Heartz
• Travel tickets are covered up to R4 million for you and your family
• Every R5 spent earns you a point
• You must have attained 18 years of age
• Provide proof of employment
• Prove that you have a stable job by showing pay slips you have received in the last three months
• The credit limit is allocated based on monthly income
• Monthly maintenance fee: R60.53
• Initiation fee: R189.65
• Card replacement fee: Zero
American Express Gold credit cardThe Gold card is for people who want more flexibility with basic financial needs while reaping benefits that come with membership to American Express.
• Get interest-free credit for 55 days on your purchases
• You can either pay the entire balance or a minimum of 5% per month
• Reward points may not expire and you are free to redeem them for travel and lifestyle expenses
• You can get a supplementary credit card at no additional cost
• Provide bank statements to prove a consistent income
• Provide a salary slip indicating you have been employed for the last three months
• Prove that you are at least 18 years old
• Have a flawless credit score
• Maintenance fee: R32.28
• Initiation fee: R189.65
• Card replacement fee: R131.14
American Express Blue credit cardBasically, you can increase your propensity to purchase a huge ticket item and pay later over an extended period. Besides, the card is also ideal for your daily expenses.
• Purchasing travel tickets will get you a medical cover of up to R450,000
• Every R5 you spend on eligible purchases earns you a point
• You can pay the entire balance or a minimum of 10% per month
• Global acceptance by vendors with American Express logo
• Provide a valid South African ID to prove you are of legal age
• Have a consistent source of income backed by bank slips
• Be employed in a stable job and prove this by providing pay slips
• Maintenance fee: R25.62
• Secondary card fee: R25.62
• Initiation fee: 189.65
• Replacement fee: R131.14